Wednesday 1 February 2012

Evaluation 1 - In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

How does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Taking the Eastenders Christmas Trailer as an example my media product follows many of the conventions that are shown in the trailer.

(Eastenders Christmas Trailer 2009 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68GWmOETotQ)



Sound
Like the christmas trailer my soap uses non diagetic sound that relates to the action that is happening on screen. However in the Eastenders trailer they also use some footage that has diagetic sound which my media product does not have. I chose not to use footage that uses diagetic sound because I wanted the audience to watch the footage with a fresh mind however I did include voiceovers because I did want to give the audience some clues about some of the storylines.
Length
The Eastenders Christmas Trailer is only 36 seconds long while my product is 1 min 25 seconds. I decided to make mine longer because it is supposed to be a new soap while the Eastenders one is just advertising a special episode for a soap that has been aired for 27 years. If the aim was to create a media product advertising for a soap that was already being shown then I would have made my product shorter however due to the fact that it is longer I decided to make mine longer. Some of the other Eastenders trailers are longer for example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyBk5FcMARo (Who killed Archie Mitchell).

Characters
In my media product I have used some of the stereotypical characters that are used in real media products. The collection of print screens above show what characters I have used. I have used the druggie, jack-the-lad, young couple, and the gay couple. I have also used some stereotypical people that are not always used in real media products. My print screens show a geek and the third person of a love triangle. I chose to include these characters because I wanted to be different and include some characters that other soaps don't. I wanted to show all different types of characters in my soap so it would reach a wider audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment